Apr 16, 2011

Just Starting Digital Photography, What Do I Get?


I recently responded to an open forum that asked this question: "The camera budget between 600 and $ 1000 who can help me choose" Next was my answer.

There are several factors to take into account here) camera style (digital compact or a full blown digital SLR), b) the type of patients usually take (close-up, scenery, people, etc.), c) lens needed (constructed or added) and what range? D) What do you do with your photos?

) camera style - currently use the Fuji S9000 which is compact and has a tremendous 28-300 optical zoom lens. This is a 9 mega pixel camera and takes very sharp photos. It is small and light (one of the main reasons for taking it.) On the down side, although they can use filters, I can not change the lens. It is also sometimes slow in deciding what to focus on a moving subject in the photo.

B) Type of entity - you need not be in sports photography for the speed to make a difference. I have not done a wedding for a couple of years, but if I did I would be tempted to go back to my film camera, because the reaction time is much faster. If 90% of respondents staying still, (portraits, landscape, scenic) compact camera may well suit your needs. If on the other hand 90% of your move (grandkids, sports, or other events (such as weddings or plays)) you may very well consider moving to a true DSLR world for your pictures.

C), lens type needed - obviously it depends on the type of body you have chosen. There are many compact digital cameras only come with a 35-70 zoom. Even if they have a fantastic rating of mega pixels (10 or 12 mega pixel) I would never even consider it because it does not give me enough for my visual range of the average photo, (I shoot a lot of scenic pictures) Built on or not I still as possible to the widest range when taking my photos.

D) What do you do with your photos? If 90% of what the shoot was posted on-line or printed as a 4x6 graphics for your scrapbook, you do not need super high mega pixel camera. 3 mega pixel camera and beyond, will make a very sharp 8x10 prints. If you want a regular 16 x 20 prints or do a lot of editing (to blow up small parts), then the DSLR will be well worth the investment for a good future in photography.

If I do it again and had $ 1,000 to spend I'd go with the Canon XSI body (about 500.00 U.S. dollars), I'd throw a standard 18-55mm lens that comes with it, and add the Sigma 18 -250 zoom (also around $ 500.00). good flash and a couple of high speed memory cards will also be necessary, but they already have. Canon and Nikon both make excellent units, but so do many other manufacturers. Anyway, now I'm using Fuji and most of what we do, it is meeting my needs. I earn money from my compact digital camera, but I do not shoot as many events as I used to. That's the bottom line ... understand what you want to shoot, and then decide on the camera.

0 comments:

Post a Comment